A classic of the Daffodil Mulligan menu, Chef Simon shares his recipe for Daffy's Wood Fire Baked Crab Mac.
1 large, cooked crab
1.5l stock, ideally lobster stock
500g dried macaroni pasta
1. Remove the white meat from the body and claws of the crab and refrigerate.
2. Take the remaining meat from head and claws and smoke, ideally over charcoal, for 30 mins (on the barbecue works well)
3. Remove the meat from the barbecue and add to a large pan. Add the stock to cover and simmer for 30 mins.
4. In a separate pan make a roux by melting butter. Once melted, add the flour and stir until the mixture forms a smooth paste.
5. Add the roux to the stock pot and stir well.
6. Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the macaroni and cook. Once cooked, add a small amount of the sauce to the drained pasta and stir the sauce through.
7. Take the crab meat from the fridge and stir through the pasta and sauce mixture. A portion of crab meat for one person is approx 100g.
8. Stir gently and transfer to a pasta bowl.
9. Sprinkle with Parmesan and melt under the grill for a minute (if you have a blow torch, have fun using it to melt the cheese instead)
10. Dig in and enjoy!